Thursday, February 24, 2011

Eve's Earthquake Diary

Dear diary,
My grandparents arrived a few days a go from Nelson. My parents kept it a secret from me. It was a big surprise when they came. But there were other surprises that were about to be revealed.
I was walking to school as usual and every thing felt the same. Swimming sports were happening. I came first in back stoke and the finals as well. I didn't realize this would be the last time in the pool. The bell rang and the teacher let us off for lunch. My friend and I finished eating and were enjoying swinging on the monkey bars. Suddenly there was a rumble beneath us and it was making me jump up and down on the monkey bars. I was screaming so hard it hurt. I looked to my left and saw the bolt loosening from the metal bar I was clinging to. All of a sudden the sense came to me and I knew that if I didn't let go now I would definitely fall with it. I finally let go and fell flat on my back with a thud. With my back in pain I stood up looking around me and seeing all the kids screaming with fear. All I could hear was crying. I was terrified. More than that it was like my greatest fears coming to life. I thought that earthquakes were all over. I was crying. I didn't known what to do. The teachers came out and they all said go to the field.


22.02.2011 Part-1

10 comments:

Mahana Kotuku said...

Wow Eve. Reading your story really made me feel some of the terror that you must have felt that day. We're glad that you are ok and that you have come to spend some time with us. I will check back in here some time soon to read more of your diary.

Anonymous said...

Eve - that is an amazing story to share, we are so pleased you are here with us in Nelson and can relax and feel safe. I have sent the blog link to all the Mickell family overseas so hopefully they will all take a look - Kylie x

Isla+Charley said...

Hi Eve, Daniel, Helen, Isla and Charley here, all the way on the other side of the world, in England. We were all very, very proud of how brave you and Quinn and your Mum and Dad had been when the earthquake happened. We were very worried when we heard, but we knew that you would all be ok!
I bet you will have a great time staying with all the kids at Kylies and Riks, with Uncle Chris and Auntie Ady there as well. Isla loves listening about stories from when all you kids were rugrats, she says " And then what did Tom do?" or "So what was Eve and Izzie doing?" and "Did Quinn catch Jed?". Charley and Isla would love to be there playing with you, maybe one day soon.
Well, I best start getting ready for work now, I woke up with 2 little ones in bed with us this morning, Islas foot on my face and Charleys bum on Helens! Arrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
Even though we live all the way on the other side we are sending lots of love over there and also thinking of you all heaps.xxxx

Anonymous said...

glad you are in a safe place,cant wait to read your diary every day.I love you heaps and I see you soon love dad

Anonymous said...

I have just read your blog to Ben and Sam. it must have been super scary for you and all your friends. Thank you for sharing your story. We are all thinking of you and your family. love Kathryn, Nick, Ben and Sam. Keep writing Eve x

Miriam said...

Hi Evie just read your blog here in Sydney. I have been thinking about you and Quinn every day and wishing I could give you one of my big hugs. Sending you all my love, hope you can come and see us in Sydney very soon. Auntie Minxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Tania and Michael said...
It is such a neat idea Evie that you can write about that day Evie and what you have been through. Friends and family are able to experience a little of what it must have been like for you but not really. We are so glad you are OK and safe and I know that Mum and Dad are thinking of you always and glad you are away from the earth quakes for a little while. We all love you very much. xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

hi. izzie X

Unknown said...

Hi Evie, what a powerful story, it felt as though I was right there with you at that moment. I hope you get a chance to write more of your experiences.
There are so many children from Christchurch spread up and down the country, attending schools, and you are one of those. It feels so strange not having you here but it's comforting to Mum and Dad knowing you are safe. This morning we have had some awful aftershocks so we are happy you are safe and away from them.
We still have no water which is yuk!
Keep writing your blog darling, and we're thinking of you every step of the way.
love mum xxx

The Fimples said...

Hi Eve! Your blog made this story really hit home. It's not quite the same when you are watching it on the news from the other side of the world. We are all so thankful that you guys are all okay. We hope you guys enjoy your time in Nelson. Take Care!
Your family in Florida - Shannon